Multiplayer OpSquad

« Older   Newer »
Sirius ZA
view post Posted on 20/9/2012, 10:03     +1   -1

Hi All

Long time no post! But have been playing a fair amount and still really enjoying the game.

I have had repeated requests from one of the clubs at which I play to run a 4-player OpSquad game.

I am unsure how best to approach this process.

I recall seeing a post from one of the authors (whether on this forum or another) that suggested OpSquad was not ideal for multiplayer...

However, i am prepared to at least try...

First, has anyone got useful experience as to how multiplayer processes worked or didnt work?

Second, my own thoughts of the sequence were something like this: Split squad+supports/reinforcements between 2 players (say 6-8 or so models per player, 12-16 per side). Each turn, all 4 players roll initiative - determining activation sequence. In that order, each player declares an action, and all the others players can chose to react. Single reaction only, no counter reactions, (so second player on the team effectively becomes the initiative players counter-reaction option, and the maximum number of action to resolve priority becomes 4).

Will that mean too much downtime between actions?

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Gregory Bradfield
view post Posted on 21/9/2012, 08:40     +1   -1

Sirius ZA, This sounds good to me and if all are fimiliar with the rules it sould flow at the same pace. The players in a team might use a bit more time discussing posssible counter reactions but it shouldn't take up to much time.

Cheers

P.S. Have you got many members at your club? You are in Cape Town if a can recall correctly..

Sirius ZA
view post Posted on 21/9/2012, 11:59     +1   -1

Thanks for your input.

Check your PMs.. :-)

Sirius ZA
view post Posted on 11/10/2012, 15:26     +1   -1

We tried the multiplayer sequence described above in a game last night, with one just the one difference... after a player had declared an action, either of the opponents could declare an reaction, and thereafter the friendly player, and then the remaining opposing player.

It worked well enough, and the feedback from players (2 who had played before and 2 who hadnt, and myself as umpire and declarer of random events) was positive.

Of course, it takes away some of the subtleties of counter reaction options in the game, so limits tactical options a bit, but the game flowed well enough. With 15-16 models per side, each divided into 2 reduced strength squads, the game took just over 2 hours, and would have been over earlier had we not allowed one of the new players, whose squad was first to break, to return to the table in the next turn as "reinforcements". And we paused for rule explanations here and there...

If anything, the brittleness of the squads was the biggest headache - with only 7-8 models per player I set the breakpoints at 3, so if the opponents concentrated on cracking a single squad, they could get a player out the game very quickly. Next time I will use a team breakpoint, rather than a breakpoint per player.

Edited by Sirius ZA - 12/10/2012, 09:28

Gregory Bradfield
view post Posted on 12/10/2012, 07:06     +1   -1

It sounds as if you all had a great evening, I'll have to attempt something simillar to get people involved.

GReg

4 replies since 20/9/2012, 10:03   126 views